Earlier last week I wrote about how my year of intention has been going with half of the year behind us. When I chose the word “intention” for 2016, I knew for me that simply meant doing more of what I love and less of the rest. For a long time I just did what I thought I was “supposed” to do but I’m learning now, that God has bigger plans for our lives than that. Yup. As is mine and yours. Like anything, I know that “living with intention” isn’t this destination you arrive at. You don’t just wake up intentional one day. Living with intention is a daily practice. One that I succeed or fail at depending on the day. That’s real. But it’s not from lack of trying…most days. Either way, as I explained in my post, I’ve definitely made some significant progress during my year of intention and I wanted to share some things that have been working for me in hopes that it can help you live with intention too.
How to Live with Intention
- Write the vision. Make it plain. Some people use vision boards, some people (like me) have it written in journal. It doesn’t really matter how you write it out (though my writer based biased will tell you the physical writing it down pen to paper is a major key) as long as you have the vision somewhere that you can actually see and refer to it as much as you need to. When a choice, an opportunity, a job, a new client, whatever it may be comes along, look at your vision. If you can’t easily see how this will get you a step closer to that, don’t be afraid to pass it up.
- Get really clear on your values and what’s important to you. Before you can start truly living with intention, you need to be clear on what that even means to you. You already know I’m big on defining things for yourself so take some time to truly figure out what things, experiences, and aspects of your life are non-negotiable for you. That’s where should be focusing your intention.
- Let those values guide your daily life. It seems like such a simple concept yet it’s something I completely missed for so long. I think I wrote about this before where I did an exercise where I listed out the things I said were important to me and then listed all the things I did on a daily basis. The disconnect was real. One of the key things that has helped me live with intention is making sure I’m incorporating my values into my everyday life.
- Monitor your consumption. This one is something I still struggle with. Whether it’s a blog post, a really good thread on twitter, a new book recommended by my favorite guru, or Facebook group full of talented women doing their thing I really love learning and discovering. But this love comes with it’s hiccups. If you consume too much of something else, from someone else, you can lose focus on what it is you actually want to be doing with your life. When you find yourself pivoting, changing, and redirecting too often, it’s time to take a consumption break.
- Pray about everything. Some Sundays ago during a sermon my Pastor talked about how you need to be praying about Every. Thing. No matter big or small. He said “You oughta ask God”. Remember how I said that, you don’t just arrive at intentional? But God, He’s intentional. Through and through. If you really want to practice true intention, make sure you’re spending time in His word. Learn to listen to and to let Him guide you in all things, in all areas of your life.
Remember, living with intention is a daily practice. How are you living with intention today? ~xoxo